Tuesday, July 31, 2007

FINALLY MY TRIP TO THE UNITED STATES

I did not expect that we would get approved for a tourist Visa since we did not have any money nor property to present in the interview. But I did not also expect that we would be denied. It was a fifty-fifty thing. Bro. Robert Cavaness, the man behind in sending Bro. Willhoite to the Philippines sent us a letter of invitation and some amount to be spent in our trip. However, we did not use the letter of Bro. Cavaness in the interview but the letter of Bro. Howell from California. There were four of us in the interview, me, Venus, her sister Florida, and Rey, Florida's son. We were only equipped with ambition to go to the United States. This was our first interview. We brought our church pictures and a bank account that had an amount of sixteen pesos. We were banking on Bro. Howell's letter that he would be shouldering all of our expenses. We prayed and prayed, even when we were lined up for the interview. I could see the tensions on the faces of the people who were lined up with us. Florida was telling Daday to catch her when she would pass out if the consul approved us a Visa. We had the joy in our hearts that at long last we were finally in the US Embassy to apply for the Visa to come to the United States. This was just a dream in the past, a desire in our hearts, which we constantly spoke about even by way of preaching and in the overnight testimonial service. Tracy Coloma, one of our young people, had chided us that even if we would sell everything that we had it would not be enough to get us to America.

As we were seated, we were watching those that were approved and those that were disapproved. We were also very keen about which consul approved easier. We saw people's faces getting sour and this told us that they had been disapproved. And we see exuberant faces as well which showed that they got a Visa. Finally, it was our turn. The consul, a young white man, in his late twenties, asked: "Who is the leader here?" I answered that it was me. I handed all our passports and he asked why we wanted to visit the United States? "What is your purpose to go to the United States?" I answered, "We are invited to preach there." He looked at the pictures and he noticed that the people in the pictures were raising their hands. "Why do you pray so very enthusiastically?" Venus answered: "Because God really answers prayers." She asked the consul, "Do you want that we will pray for you? What is your name?" The consul said that God knew his name. Then he looked to our bank account. He saw there was only sixteen pesos in it. "So, you mean to tell me that you give all your money to the church that is why you do not have any money?" We all chorused, "Yes." He gathered all our passports and then he said, "Okay you come back this afternoon for your passports." He gave us the green stubs, which meant that we had been granted the Visa. Florida motioned to Daday with so much joy and said, "You catch me, I am fainting."

The next step was for us to look for the money. We originally planned to go all together but we did not have the funds to do it. It was decided that I would go first, and then I would raise the money there, and then send money back home for Venus. Florida and Rey's fare would be shouldered by Charlo Almeda their brother, who at this time was a lawyer in Jersey City, New Jersey. To get the money for my fare we had to borrow from a woman who was a friend of Venus whom she hadn't seen for a long time. We made our van as a collateral. I called Bro. Cavaness that we got the Visa and all of them in the AMF governing body were delighted. My port of entry was Los Angeles. Bro. Howell of Hollister was going to pick me up.

I flew Japan Airlines for my first time ever to fly out of the Philippines. Many of our church members saw me off in the airport, and of course, with all of my now four children. Juven Lee, the fourth child was born on November 23, 1981. And Venus at this time was due for our fifth child Damariz, who would be born in New York. I had to make sure that I had all of my papers with me when I got inside the airport. It was a very momentous event. I finally was going to do the impossible, that is to go to America. But because of my being a leader for a long time, this trip was not giving me any fear. I was excited in fact that I could finally fulfill the chapter in my life that was destined to happen. When the giant plane took off with me in it I knew then that my life was going to change forever. Among all the pastors of my peers I was the first one to come to the United States. I was very confident in me that God was going to be with me according to all the promises that He made to me while I was still in the Bible School. I had peace in my heart when the jumbo jet took off. The Holy Spirit assured me that all would be well.

I had only $70 in my pocket when I landed Los Angeles. I was not asked with many questions at the port of entry, all I showed to the immigration officer was the letter from Bro. Howell. I was given six months to stay. When I collected all my suitcases from the baggage claim I went outside and waited for Bro. Howell. He was not there. I waited and waited and finally I called his house. I spoke to somebody who told me that Bro. Howell went to Texas and that he did not have any idea that I was arriving. I was at a loss what to do. I took a cab and asked to be taken to a cheap hotel. I paid the cab and the hotel and I got $33 left with me. From the hotel I called Bro. Cavaness and asked if he could pick me up. Bro. Cavaness lived in Alabama and I did not have any idea that Alabama was very far. He just laughed. But he said, "Don't worry, I will send somebody for you." In a little while the phone in my room rang and Bro. Fletcher was on the other line. He introduced himself to me and said that Bro. Cavaness called him and that he would come early in the morning to pick me up. I thought, what would I do if no one will come and get me?

In the morning, around eight o'clock, Bro. Fletcher came knocked on my door. He knew about what was going on in the Philippines and had heard about my work. He was a part of the AMF. He took me to eat and took me to his house to rest. When I asked him that I wanted to use the comfort room he could not understand what I asked for. He did not know that a comfort room is a toilet in the Philippines. But I did not know I should have said restroom instead of comfort room. Bro. Fletcher thought that I was talking about a bedroom. I rested in a real nice room in their house and that evening we went to his church service and I preached. I brought many tapes of my recording and I was able to sell many of them. That evening he gave me an offering of $300. All of a sudden I had money. From $70 dollars the Lord gave me an increase. Then on the next night Bro. Fletcher took me to preach at Bro. Davis, one of the largest church in San Bernardino. Bro. Davis also gave me an offering of $500. Then on the next day, which was a Sunday, Bro. Fletcher took me to another church. By four days after I arrived I received $2200 in offering. I was so blessed and amused. And I sent in that week the money that Venus needed to follow me with Florida and Rey Mones.

No comments: